Saturday, October 27, 2012

Like Sania, Rahul also contemplates a return to singles (we are talking about tennis not marriage)

Looks like Sania Mirza is not the only Indian tennis star who is
contemplating her future career in singles. AATP pro Rahul Baijal
finds himself in the same dilemma as the WTA pro after spending most
of 2012 focussing on doubles.

Rahul has had a history of knee trouble over the past few years and
has been playing more doubles in the last 12 months in order to
prolong his playing career. But after beating Ashutosh and giving top
seed Haresh a run for his money to advance to the quarter finals of
the AATP Masters Championships, Rahul is giving second thoughts to his
singles career.

Speaking to our reporters on Sunday before the event, Rahul said,
"When I play singles, I get too agrressive and competitive which
increases the chances of my knee getting injured. If I'm injured
again, I will be out for a few months atleast and the comeback will be
very hard. I would like to play till the age of 50 hence I am
focussing on doubles which is easier on my body."

But the hedge fund manager has a different thought process after his
performance on Wednesday. "I think I gave a good account of myself
even with such limted singles play in the past year. Maybe I should
singles more often. Let's see. In my heart, I know I want to but I
just dont know if my body will cooperate. I will be talking to my team
over the holidays and taking a decision soon."

There were rumours about Rahul teaming up with Sania for the
Australian Open mixed doubles. But with Rahul unsure of his singles
committments yet, Sania has decided to play the mixed doubles event in
Melbourne with ATP world no. 1 Bob Bryan.

No comments: